Mobile App is a software application, specifically designed to run on small screen devices like mobile phones or tablets.
What are different types of Mobile Apps:-
When it comes to Mobile App Development, there are basically 3 kinds of App to choose from:-
- Native Apps
- Web Apps
- Hybrid Apps
Native Apps: Native Apps as the name suggests, these kinds of Apps are exclusively developed for a Single Mobile Operating System, that’s why they are called Native. For Eg: Apps developed for Android device can’t be used on Windows, iOS or any other device.
What are the main advantages of Native Apps:-
- They are really fast ( Well it all depends on the device hardware, how fast it is )
- They have access to wide range of API, with no limitation. For eg: A Native App can access Mobile’s dialer to make calls, Mobile’s Calender to schedule appointments, Mobile Cameras to take pictures.. etc.
- They don’t require Internet Connection to run the app.
- Once they are approved and listed on their Respective App store, they can get huge marketing benefits such as increasing number of downloads, in-app advertisements to monetize your app.
What are the Cons of Native App :
- High Development Cost: Native apps are more expensive to develop. They’re more complex and require multiple code bases that need to be maintained by developers.
- Time: It Requires more time to develop a Native App
- Usage: The Same App can’t be used on multiple platforms.
Therefore, a user can access a web app from any device, irrespective of their platform.
What are the advantages of Web Apps:-
- Low Development Cost
- Can be used on Multiple Platforms
- Require less device memory
- Require less effort to develop a web app.
- They don’t need an app store for a launch
What are the Cons of Web Apps:-
- Can’t be used in offline mode.. i.e strictly Internet-dependent
- Can’t use all device’s API, Only some of device APIs may be used (such as geolocation)
Hybrid Apps :
As the name suggests, they are the combination of both Native and Web Apps. Hybrid Apps are mainly website applications disguised in a native wrapper.
What are the advantages of Hybrid Apps:-
- They can be used on Multiple Platform
- Low development Cost, in Comparison with Native App.
- Widely used APIs, like gyroscope, accelerometer, geolocation are available for use.
- Can be launched on App stores and can enjoy respective App store’s benefits.
What are the Cons of Hybrid Apps:
- They are slower than Native Apps
- They lack in performance when compared to native apps.
- Require high skills to build Hybrid Apps